9 Steps to the Perfect Gelilah (Rolling and Tying the Scroll)
- Come to the Bimah (pulpit) after the Torah reading is complete, along with the Hagbah.
- Stand near the chair where the Hagbah will sit.
- As the Hagbah sits, grab hold of the upper handles.
- Once the Hagbah is seated, roll the scroll tightly together (keep the seam in center).
- Place the Gartel—the belt—around the Torah and close it in place.
- Place the Mantel—the cover—on the Torah.
- Place the yad—the pointer—on the Torah.
- People will bless you with the words “Yasher Koach” (May you be rich in strength).
- Shake their hand and respond “Barukh tihyeh” (you should be blessed).